Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

FORUM Q & A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ADMINISTRATION] >> Top: FAQ's - Answers About Forum Features And Hints For You. >> FORUM Q & A Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FORUM Q & A - 3/11/2006 5:11:58 PM   
Video Friends

NOTICE!
Some forums and categories are only visible to registered members.

Useful information on forum features is listed below.  In the upper RH corner of any page, you'll also find the standard FAQ"s about the forum and the Links menu (at the top of any page) will provide a constantly-growing set of tutorials for you to use.  Always Stay Tuned!

New Forum Q & A

Q.  How do I make my Links stand out.  Sometimes they are hard to see.
A.  Set the link up in the normal way.
Once the link has appeared normally, go to edit your thread
Select/highlight the link's name that now appears as text. (the actual URL is no longer visible)
With text highlighted simply click the BOLD and the UNDERLINE options in the normal way.
You could also set the colour to BLUE as this seems to be a common colour for links.
Sample: Normal Link   Enhanced Link    Enhanced Link

Q.  I posted a topic last month and now it's gone.  Where did it go?   Did it get deleted?
A.  Not at all.   There is a dropdown box at the top of every topic which shows you a choice of what you want to view.  It's titled "Display topics from last:" and if the box list's "Last 30 days", you can change that to "All Topics" and your topic should reappear.

Q.  How do I change my password?
A.  There's a pictoral explanation located HERE!

Q.  What about Emailing through the forum?  Are there any privacy concerns?
A.  When sending an email to a member, you expose your email address to them.
(Standard forum code and emailing convention) If you don't want this to happen, you can instead use the Private Message (PM) capability inside of the forum to converse with other members.

Q.  Does this forum have a Spell Checker?
A.  The spell check button is at the end of the same row of tools as Font & Font Size are in the Post & Reply creation dialog box.  Netscape visitors won't have this option until a "mod" becomes available.

Q.  Will we be able to have Avatars?
A.  Video Friends would like to stay away from avatars.  They would have to go where the "Equipment" list is now and if enabled and placed either above or below the Equipment,  would make any post quite tall.  We've done well without them and the ability to have them invites the possibility of distraction.  They also slow page-loading down fractionally and would increase our bandwidth usage.

Q.  Can we upload pictures to put in our profile or place in posts?
A.  You can link to a picture (has to be accessible via the web) for either your profile or in a post.

Q.  I can't find anywhere to change the order of posts in a thread but I can change the order of topics in a list. Is this feature going to be available?
A.  This capability may be considered in a future version of the forum.  We will look at an upgrade of the application should it becomes available.

Q.  Is there a limit to how many Private Messages that can be stored in a user's folders and what is the limit - is it the number of posts or a matter of bits/bytes?
A. There is a limit of 50 messages.  This is a fair number and helps keep the size of the database manageable.

Q.  Is the Subscription feature going to work by sending out e-mails when new posts to a thread are made?
A.  Yes.  Due to the installation of the new server with much more refined mail server software, we will have that capability and more.

Q.  I cannot find any user-defined way to change how many posts can appear on a page. Is this working and where can it be found?
A.  This is an Administrator-defined setting in this version of the app and is set to 20 per page.  Should be enough for most.

Q.  Is there a way to see who is online?
A.  Not only who but what they're doing at the moment.  Down at-close to the bottom of the homepage (All Forums) you'll see Active Users: Hover your mouse over a name to see what they are up to.

Q.  Where are the old smilies.
A.  If you don't see the smiley you want in the main list, just click the "More Smilies" link located at the bottom of the main list.

Q.  How do I create a "Short" Link in my post?
A.  This is easier than UBB. Here is how you do it:
(Example) Type go to hotmail, highlight go to hotmail and then click on the link button
put http://hotmail.com in the prompt, that's it - you will see go to hotmail as a clickable link.
Note: This feature is not currently available for Netscape/Firefox/Mozilla users.  We are investigating a work-around.

Q.  I see a Calendar Link at the top and it shows me one.  What is this going to be used for?
A.  Besides the obvious, we can use calendars to show scheduled downtimes for forum maintenance and public and private calendars for personal use and event notification.

Q.  Are we going to have Picture Gallery and what will they be available for?
A.  The Picture Gallery may be implemented in the future when a suitable need for it arises.

Q.  How do I create a list of people I PM to?
A.  When setting up your PM Address book, you can choose your list of people to add or block by going to the Member List and making your selections using the checkbox at the right-hand end of the member's row. Click the "Add To Contact List" button and those selections will be added to your list.

Q.  How do I sort topics the way I want to?
A.  On any page inside a forum, category, or topic, there's white lettering on the blue divider bar.  If you hover your mouse over any text in it you see that it underlines itself. A L-mouse click sorts by that column.

Q.  Can I create a Poll?
A.  You can request that a poll be created for you from any moderator.

< Message edited by Video Friends -- 5/24/2007 12:38:27 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [ADMINISTRATION] >> Top: FAQ's - Answers About Forum Features And Hints For You. >> FORUM Q & A Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode