Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Bittman's FAQ Page

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [GENERAL] >> HINTS AND WORK-AROUNDS >> Bittman's FAQ Page Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bittman's FAQ Page - 4/4/2006 8:39:13 AM   
Video Friends

bittmann has an FAQs thread on the (P) forum. It has very valuable information in it for working around bugs that are not in the Pinnacle FAQs.  We have also placed a link to it in the Menu under "LINKS".

He is still working on more faqs and he would love some input on it.  He says he doesn't check this forum to frequently so it may take him a couple of days to reply.
Post #: 1
RE: Bittman's FAQ Page - 4/11/2006 4:06:58 PM   
Yvette_B

Equipment:
AMD Athlon 3000+, 2 160GB HDs ext 250GB HD 1 GB Ram, Radeon 9550 256MB, Windows XP SP2, Studio 9.3.5 Plus, Studio 10.7 Plus Titanium Edition Dazzle 150b, Vegas Movie Studio 6, DVD Architect 3, Vegas 6 Camcorders:PV-GS250, Sony DCRHC38
bittmann;

I'm not sure if there is a FAQ for this already (I could not find one) or if it even needs a FAQ. 

I'm posting this here so I don't get in the middle of your discussion with Rick on the other forum.

I've had this problem a number of times now and I think I may have an idea of what is happening now.

Working with MPEG (groan) source files, when rendered to dv avi, flashing appears at some cuts where no flashing appears  in edit.  I think it has something to do with MPEG files refering to before and after frames.

In all cases, the symptoms are the same.  The source files appear fine, the problem just shows up in the dv avi files made from the edited source files. 

The first time it happened to me I was working on a "music video" but did not have very much source material to work with.  I was using the very first frame of each new clip quite often.  After I discovered the flashing problem, I looked closely at the dv avi file first and found the flashing was actually a one frame clip of a totally different scene sometimes semi transparent over the first frame I wanted, sometimes you could hardly see the frame I wanted anymore (The frames were actually the  frame, just before the frame I was trying to get in my source files).  When I looked at the MPEG project at the first frame, it was what I wanted with just a slight ghosting or blurring on it, but not enough to make out what it was. Unfortunately, you could clearly see what it was in the avi file. To correct the problem I just avoided using the first frame of a new clip if I could.

The second way I ran into the problem was importing a studio created DVD that I had made (also a "music video") using mencoder. The source material (DVD) was fine (even in a frame by frame check) but the ripped DVD had 3 cases of "flashing".  To fix this one I just took out the incorrect frames (one was of a friend playing saxophone...the DVD was a horse video   ) and replaced it with a frame grab of the next frame.

The third instance was not a cut, but it makes sense anyways.  Again it was a "music video", this time of my daughter's grade 8 camping trip and some still photos.  The last bit of video I had before some stills was of a friend with a camera taking a picture.  When I rendered it to avi, I had a flash there! Actually, it looked quite good, like I had intended it to happen that way so I left it in.  When I looked at the source MPEG file the last frame I used was fine but if you looked really close you could see just a slight bit of blurring.  The frame that I had cut out had the flash.  The funny thing was, I never noticed the flash in the orginal files but it is very noticable in the final project.
Post #: 2
RE: Bittman's FAQ Page - 4/11/2006 6:33:50 PM   
bittmann

Equipment:
Video: US NTSC / Sony 8MM CCD-TR916 / MovieBox USB / Sony DCR-TRV70 MiniDV
S9 PC: Centrino Laptop / 1.6 GHz / 512Meg / NVidia G-Force4 4200 Go / XP Pro SP2/ Studio 8.12.7 & 9.4.3+
S10 PC: Athlon64 3400+, 1GB, nVidia 6600 256MB, XP Home SP2
Hi, Yvette...

I'm guessing that what you're experiencing may be partly Studio's "somewhat suspect" MPEG-handling characteristics, and perhaps the other half in a "blended frame" problem.  Studio only shows one field during edit, and if your source had (as some analog sources did), "weird/blended" frames in which one field has one image, but another field has another image, while you won't see it in edit, it'll sure look weird after rendering.

But no, I don't think there's a FAQ...or even any way to come up with a FAQ...to deal with this situation.  I think it's going to be blamed on your source, and Pinnacle would basically say "recapture or reedit".  Feel free to talk me out of that viewpoint, though... 
Post #: 3
RE: Bittman's FAQ Page - 4/11/2006 7:58:14 PM   
Yvette_B

Equipment:
AMD Athlon 3000+, 2 160GB HDs ext 250GB HD 1 GB Ram, Radeon 9550 256MB, Windows XP SP2, Studio 9.3.5 Plus, Studio 10.7 Plus Titanium Edition Dazzle 150b, Vegas Movie Studio 6, DVD Architect 3, Vegas 6 Camcorders:PV-GS250, Sony DCRHC38
You are right again bittmann. 

It is caused by the source and Pinnacle would say to recapture (heard that one before when I could not get my project back out to tape though my Dazzle device)

Thanks for explaining it to me.  I had no idea that a "blended frame problem" even existed.  That certainly seems to be the cause here. 

Thanks for your help

< Message edited by Yvette_B -- 4/11/2006 8:35:32 PM >
Post #: 4
RE: Bittman's FAQ Page - 4/12/2006 9:01:45 AM   
m4rk

Equipment:
3Ghz HT P4, Intel 845 chipset, 2G RAM, 120G boot + 200G video maxtor drives, Samsung CD RW drive, LG GSA-4163B DL multidrive, Saphire Radeon 9800pro graphics card, Creative Audigy sound blaster audio card S9+S11, HFX, Corel PSP, Corel Painter, XP Pro SP3
I'm thinking that Bittmans FAQ page is so useful it should be kept on this forum for safe keeping.

I'm not sure I would trust Avid to keep such a valuable resource and they don't seem to belive in sticky threads either; you never know it could get deleted and in any case as time goes by it will sink lower and lower in the forum. What do you think?

Not sure how it could be done  easilly. Hopefully bittmann has kept a copy of his posts and agrees.

< Message edited by m4rk -- 4/12/2006 9:17:35 AM >

m4rk

Post #: 5
RE: Bittman's FAQ Page - 4/12/2006 9:05:45 AM   
Video Friends

quote:

Bittmans FAQ page is so useful it should be kept on this forum as a sticky

Your wish is my command. 

This thread is pinned to the top now.
Post #: 6
RE: Bittman's FAQ Page - 4/12/2006 9:16:22 AM   
m4rk

Equipment:
3Ghz HT P4, Intel 845 chipset, 2G RAM, 120G boot + 200G video maxtor drives, Samsung CD RW drive, LG GSA-4163B DL multidrive, Saphire Radeon 9800pro graphics card, Creative Audigy sound blaster audio card S9+S11, HFX, Corel PSP, Corel Painter, XP Pro SP3
oooo someone is listening. Thanks,

I was hoping, with Bittmanns agreement of course, to reproduce all the FAQ's here, the lot, in its entirety. No need to follow the links to the other place and the FAQ's would be much easier for visitors to this forum to find. I'd say it would be a smart move for this forum.

First things first. At least this thread is a sticky now.

Ta,

m4rk

Post #: 7
RE: Bittman's FAQ Page - 1/4/2008 12:13:06 AM   
Declic Video

Hello Bitmann,

Would you be interested in putting your FAQ into my actual FAQ page ???

We can either thinnk of a direct access to the page, so you can add component whenever you want. Or you send them to me, and I put them online.
I would need someone to translate them (I know that gjslaw is already interested), or I can do it (if you do not put too many FAQ the same day, otherwise I will be overflowed with work... Lol).

What do you think ???

DV

< Message edited by Declic Video -- 1/4/2008 12:15:29 AM >

Pinnacle Studio & proDAD tutorials, tips & tricks, download, free HFX
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [GENERAL] >> HINTS AND WORK-AROUNDS >> Bittman's FAQ Page Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode