Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

New Commotion Forum!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SOFTWARE] >> ANIMATION APPLICATIONS & TECHNIQUES >> Commotion >> New Commotion Forum! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Commotion Forum! - 8/31/2007 6:11:04 AM   
ahroo

Thank you so much for creating this area for us! There are enough of us using this software (or trying to!) and no other active forums to get help at, so this will be a wonderful opportunity for us to share ideas, solutions, ask questions, etc.

To kick things off, I'll just post a quickie. I had been wondering if Commotion 4.1 Pro would run under Vista (since there are reportedly problems running other older software in Vista). While I have not done so myself, another Commotion user told me that he DOES run CP 4.1 under Vista Ultimate, so I would guess that it would work with the other Vista versions.

For those of you who have Commotion but haven't really used it yet, or still just thinking about getting it (Ebay is the place!), I highly recommend it. In its day, it was a professionally used program (many movies, TV shows, commercials used it.), and I believe it originally cost something like $1000. Now it can be had for only $100 (I actually got mine in an Ebay auction for even less!). It can do SO much, all wrapped up in one program: rotoscoping, motion tracking, auto-painting, super-cloning, color correction, all sorts of visual effects, multi-layer compositing, and so much more. There is a bit of a learning curve, but there is an excellent DVD tutorial package you can buy that really helps.

And now we have VFF to help, too!

Laura
Post #: 1
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 8/31/2007 9:20:55 AM   
Alley

Equipment:
Quad 6600 @ 2.4 512 8800 GT video card 3HD - 3 x 500 1 external 80, 1 external 300 4 gig ram Studio 12 Ultimate Ulead Video Studio 10 Adobe Premier Elements 3, Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, Photoshop CS3, Proshow Producer
Hi Laura:

It seems I do still have Commotion loaded on my computer and I know I have those training DVD's somewhere - I think my sister has them.

Anyway, perhaps this fall I shall try to revive my interest in this program - great to know there may be others to get help from!

So thanks to the "Forum Kahuna's"!!!!

Alley
Post #: 2
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 8/31/2007 10:31:26 AM   
jsheldon

Yes, indeed - TYVM for the Commotion forum.  Long overdue but finally coming around it seems.

I'm the one using Commotion v4.1Pro (CP for short to save fingers) on Vista 32 Ultimate and it does run on that O/S.  I'm only a couple of baby steps into using it, but so far the things I've tried seem to function as expected.  For example, as a small test, I brought some watermarked standard Artbeats QT (*.mov) footage into CP and removed the watermark from a couple of frames, wrote the test file out as an *.avi file (being kinda lax on the parameters) and brought it into S11.1 Ult to see if that workded ... it sure did.

FYI if anyone's interested, I installed VP on Vista using the RAA (Run As Administrator) setting and I'm using QT7.3 (QT4 comes with CP, but I elected to use the newer version to see if I could - so far, so good) and I run CP with the RAA setting also.  Neither RAA may be required, but I'm doing enough software experimenting that I didn't want to test that also.  If anyone else tries it without those settings, please let us know.

Anyway, thanks to ahroo and to the VFF for the Commotion contact point.  Seems like a very good way to pass around information on a truly fine package - sort of a PhotoShop for film/video with no excess baggage.  As I can get more and more into the different aspects of CP (and there are many) I'll try to keep data "out there" on what I encounter of Vista.  There are several people using CP on XP I know and it seems to mostly work there so I'm hopeful of having a useful tool on Vista also though there almost undoubtedly will be some things that don't work.

The first thing that really surprised me about CP/V (CP on Vista) was that the Help Menu actrually worked.  I've installed a number of software packages written for other O/S's and often the first "glitch" encountered is that the Help Menu doesn't work as MS in its wisdom switched the particulars around on that for some reason.  On some packages, that can be a showstopper.  On CP the Help system worked just fine so I was both surprised and pleased as that will make life (slightly) easier. 

As time goes on perhaps we can all benefit for knowing about CP uses ...   'till then ...
Post #: 3
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/1/2007 6:19:46 PM   
scottcommotion

I can't help with Window issues but can give some insights to the usage of the program as my time permits.

Scott Squires

Post #: 4
cancelled - 9/2/2007 7:05:41 AM   
stoutclan3

cancelled

< Message edited by stoutclan3 -- 9/7/2007 3:45:42 AM >
Post #: 5
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/2/2007 7:31:24 AM   
Dave M.

Equipment:
Custom built. Mother board= Asus PK-5. Win. XP Pro. 2 gb ram. 2X WD DMA 500 drives. Seagate 600 external drive. Pioneer external burner. Mad Dog internal burner. Video = ATI Radeon ADD 3870 PCIe. 512 mb. Audio= SB audigy. S. 11 +. dbx 286A mic pre/processer. Shure Dynamic Mic.
Good morning dave. This forum is laid out to be just about anything users want it to be, technical and social. Adult stuff is not allowed other wise Commotion users have their own little chat room. Enjoy.

Dave M.
Post #: 6
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/2/2007 11:03:41 AM   
scottcommotion

Commotion leverages QuickTime for many of the import/output formats. If QuickTime handles it Commotion should be able to.
Also note that Commotion should handle some AE or photoshop import/export plugins. Unfortunately Adobe didn't allow any of their built in plugins to run on other apps so if there's a 3rd party plugin for import/export it might work in Commotion.

Scott
Post #: 7
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/2/2007 9:27:41 PM   
KGatz003.5

Equipment:
MacBook Pro
quote:

Great to see a forum for CP I just hope it doesn't turn into a social hangout like studio 10.5 and the 'pinhead' collection.

Oh oh.........................

Well, a lot of us that like to "socialize" tend to 'hangout' in the "Coffee Shop", so you should be ok if you steer clear of there. 

Kayla
Post #: 8
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/4/2007 11:31:08 AM   
jsheldon

One thing that might be helpful to many of us, Scott, is if you - or anyone else for that matter - could post a list of links for Adobe (or other) 3rd party plugins that either work - or are thought to - with CP ...

Good to see you "on board" ... and TYVM for your efforts on a fine product!!!
Post #: 9
cancelled - 9/4/2007 2:24:55 PM   
stoutclan3

cancelled

< Message edited by stoutclan3 -- 9/7/2007 3:44:48 AM >
Post #: 10
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/4/2007 3:27:33 PM   
gjslaw

Equipment:
Not worth talkin' about around here.
quote:

A more serious informitive forum would\will be nice.
OK, Dave. How about this for serious information?

Greg (returning to the Coffee Shop because Dave won't be looking there) .

Anything worth doing is
worth doing well

Greg
Post #: 11
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/4/2007 3:38:22 PM   
KGatz003.5

Equipment:
MacBook Pro
Funny, Greg. 

quote:

Psss Kayla!, I see you've reached nirvana in this forum. Ya know Administrator and everything. And you only have 2000 some entries in this forum Hmmmmmmmmmm! Or was that Althea going for that in Studio?

P.P.P.S.  OK, to keep this so it isn't "chatting",  I only have 2000 some posts because Greg would get very upset if I got anywhere close to him.   And yes, it was both Althea and I that were going for 'the title' on the Pinnacle Forum. 
We haven't given up yet, mind you. 

Off to the Coffee Shop now.........

Kayla
Post #: 12
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/4/2007 5:24:33 PM   
Alley

Equipment:
Quad 6600 @ 2.4 512 8800 GT video card 3HD - 3 x 500 1 external 80, 1 external 300 4 gig ram Studio 12 Ultimate Ulead Video Studio 10 Adobe Premier Elements 3, Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, Photoshop CS3, Proshow Producer
quote:

Or was that Althea going for that in Studio?
Just so you know, it's Alley now.

And, Pinhead has come a long way, you should check our our thread in this forum - you could use some of those Commotion effects in Project 3.  When we launch our new website in a few weeks,  I do believe even you might be impressed.  We're open to all software now - that's why we are here on VFF.  Anything goes.  In fact ahroo, an avid Commotion user and promoter, used Commotion in her entry in Project 2 and it was done as claymation.  Pretty impressive, wouldn't you say??  Ahroo took the "Best Achievement in Technical Effects" award.

Now, from here on in, I'll stay out of your forum unless I have Commotion business to discuss and you are welcome to drop into mine, but kindly show Pinhead some respect while visiting!

P.S.  Hope you'll check it out.  We allow Adobe Premier Pro.

< Message edited by Alley -- 9/4/2007 5:26:27 PM >

Alley
Post #: 13
RE: New Commotion Forum! - 9/13/2007 5:18:40 PM   
jsheldon

Does anyone know of a provision in CP to bring in files that are not native to its use as graphics?  E.G., some arbitrary hex content for some unrelated special purpose, perhaps - such as might be prepared by a hex editor?

The filetype would then not necessarily align with a "known" usable Commotion file.  Just wonder if there's a method of doing this? 
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SOFTWARE] >> ANIMATION APPLICATIONS & TECHNIQUES >> Commotion >> New Commotion Forum! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode