Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Subtitle duration for photo slideshow

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [GENERAL] >> PICTURE TUTORIALS >> Subtitle duration for photo slideshow Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Subtitle duration for photo slideshow - 9/13/2008 1:06:40 PM   
y_aduck

Equipment:
WinXP SP2 64bit pro dual boot with 32bit XP Pro, S14 Ultimate, Quad 4 processor, 250Gb system drive (partitioned for the dual boot), 1.2Tb (2 625Gb Raid-0 Striped).
Anybody have recommendation for the length of time a caption should be on a photo?

I normally display a photo for 6 seconds. With a fade-in fade-out of 1 second, so the image is on without transition for 4 seconds. This  seems to be a good length of time. But, when I add captions I use Pinnacle's manual recommendation:
10 characters - 3 seconds and 1 additional second for each additional 5 characters.
Hence, the photo will be shown:
6 seconds - no caption
9 seconds with 10 letter caption
10 seconds with 15 letter caption
11 seconds with 20 character caption
and so on, and so on.

When watching the video, it seems a little too long for some photos. Any suggestions or is this a standard I should stay with?

I Guarantee Teardrops of Happiness
Post #: 1
RE: Subtitle duration for photo slideshow - 9/13/2008 1:25:29 PM   
Dave M.

Equipment:
Custom built. Mother board= Asus PK-5. Win. XP Pro. 2 gb ram. 2X WD DMA 500 drives. Seagate 600 external drive. Pioneer external burner. Mad Dog internal burner. Video = ATI Radeon ADD 3870 PCIe. 512 mb. Audio= SB audigy. S. 11 +. dbx 286A mic pre/processer. Shure Dynamic Mic.
IMHO two to four seconds is plenty long enough for most stills. When I need to have a caption on a still I either leave it for the duration of the still or if there’s not room on the photo to do that then I’ll make a four second duration photo and leave the caption on for the first two seconds. The mind will take in a lot of information in two seconds.

Another thing to consider is if a viewer needs to study a photo for a longer period of time they can always use the pause button on their remote.

Dave M.

Post #: 2
RE: Subtitle duration for photo slideshow - 9/13/2008 1:32:08 PM   
DaveT2

There is no standard, you just have to  go by feel.  But remember your audience will be seeing it for the first time, and you have been watching it over and over, plus you know what it says.  So I always allow enough time for me to read it through about 1 1/2 times.  But it is all subjective.

Dave T2

You can't take the sky from me.

Post #: 3
RE: Subtitle duration for photo slideshow - 9/13/2008 1:34:28 PM   
Dave M.

Equipment:
Custom built. Mother board= Asus PK-5. Win. XP Pro. 2 gb ram. 2X WD DMA 500 drives. Seagate 600 external drive. Pioneer external burner. Mad Dog internal burner. Video = ATI Radeon ADD 3870 PCIe. 512 mb. Audio= SB audigy. S. 11 +. dbx 286A mic pre/processer. Shure Dynamic Mic.
And I’ll add this – I very seldom use transitions between photos unless there is a severe change of subject matter between two photos or if a still doesn’t blend smoothly with following video.

Dave M.
Post #: 4
RE: Subtitle duration for photo slideshow - 9/13/2008 1:41:29 PM   
gjslaw

Equipment:
Not worth talkin' about around here.
I always thought that a picture is worth a thousand words.  What kind of captions are you using?  And do you really need them?  Who is your audience? What kind of slideshow? 

Anything worth doing is
worth doing well

Greg
Post #: 5
RE: Subtitle duration for photo slideshow - 9/13/2008 3:18:33 PM   
MikeC578

Equipment:
Quad Core 9650, 4GB OCZ Pplatinum PC3 14400 DDR3 SDRAM, ASUS P5 E3 Premium MoBo, 1 SATA3 1TB HDD + 3 SATA WD 500 GB HDD's, 3 External WD IDE 300 GB HDD's, Benq, HP, LG DVD burners, Studio 12.1 (for work), Studio 11.1 (for play) ASUS ENGTX260 Video, HP Scanjet 4070, Epson R200, Realtek HD Audio (Integrated)
In the preview window, play the slide back and see if you've got enough time to read it.  If you've finished reading at a normal pace and the title is still displayed for another 5 seconds I'd shorten the time.  If you hafta speed read then obviously that's not right either.  Also, display the photo a second or two longer if you're adding a title - people'll be reading your title (ie - Grandpa Jones, Oklahoma City, June 1969) instead of looking at the picture... then keep in mind that if your audience is a group of seniors, they may need a little more time... and make sure your font is not only big enough but a nice clear one... avoid the fancy-schmancy handwriting ones... keep the words away from the main subject too - either across the bottom or the top. 

Nothing cut and dried and no quick formula for titles & photos.  If you HAVE to use titles there's a number of variables that come into play imho...

Mike C.
I once lost a game of chess to a computer, but it was no match for me when it came to kick-boxing!
www.softtouchvideo.ca
Post #: 6
RE: Subtitle duration for photo slideshow - 9/13/2008 4:16:20 PM   
y_aduck

Equipment:
WinXP SP2 64bit pro dual boot with 32bit XP Pro, S14 Ultimate, Quad 4 processor, 250Gb system drive (partitioned for the dual boot), 1.2Tb (2 625Gb Raid-0 Striped).
Most of my customers slideshows are photos and slides of family and friends. Some going back to the teens and 20s to current. The boomers (me) and older are passing them on to family members as family history.
If I do a DVD slideshow for a H.S. graduation I'll move it along a little faster (MTV Generation), but for the rest I keep show the photo for a little longer.  Not all have DVD players and some (my in-laws) are lucky to find the pause button. I do agree with the fonts. It's a challenge to make it larger enough to read and not cover portion. I'll look into shortening the caption and leave the photo up.

Thanks and I'll give the other suggestions a try.

I Guarantee Teardrops of Happiness
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [GENERAL] >> PICTURE TUTORIALS >> Subtitle duration for photo slideshow Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode