Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Bealach Na Ba' sample video

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [GENERAL] >> HINTS AND WORK-AROUNDS >> Bealach Na Ba' sample video Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bealach Na Ba' sample video - 4/4/2011 1:22:41 PM   
geoff_pell

Currently I am testing out video file creations for sharing.

Quality seems to be the main loss unless files are gigantic.

I uploaded a video of our drive down the Bealach na Ba’ (5 minute duration @ 12.8 Mb) which is one of Scotland’s now famous mountain routes.
My first visit up the pass, which was the only route over to Applecross, was up a rough road without any real protection.
Now it’s Childs play and there is a low level coastal route option to Torridon.

The video quality is around medium and suffices, I suppose.

I have added music to mix the sound and would be grateful for any feedback on quality in different download areas.

The Lake District has two shorter, but far more challenging, mountain passes.
These are the Rhinos and Hard Knot passes.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Geoff
Post #: 1
RE: Bealach Na Ba' sample video - 4/4/2011 6:36:50 PM   
justaviking

Equipment:
Homebuilt - 64-bit Win7, Intel i7-3770k, 256GB SSD, Asus motherbaord, lots of hard drives, dual 28-inch monitors, 750W power supply, Antec P-160W case
I got a smile from your musical selection:  Hall of the Mountain King.

Wonderful views.

I appreciated that you trimmed the video.  As beautiful as the scenery is, a 30 minute video of driving down the road would get rather long.  Consider making it even shorter.  I understand how difficult that can be.  I struggle with it myself.  I means a lot more to you than others, especially people who were not with you and have never been there.  I'm not being critical of the filming or the subject matter.  I'm just trying to offer one opinion as a third-party observer.

A "filming" thought for next time:

Turn the camera into the turn, rather than just pointing it straight forward.  I think that will make the video more watchable.

I remember years ago, watching a special feature on the making of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."  In that movie they have a wild ride through a series of tunnels on out-of-control mining carts.  The film crew road on a roller coaster over and other and tried different filming techniques, and found turning to camera to look at where you were "going to go" before you actually got the achieved the best effect.

This does assume you have a passenger to operate the camera.  And in that case, get a car with a sunroof and have the passenger stand up to film so you don't get any reflections in the window.  (Though safety would be a concern, so maybe that's not a good idea after all.)

Anyway, you now have a reason to go on the drive again. 

Thanks for sharing.  I enjoyed watching it.

< Message edited by justaviking -- 4/4/2011 6:42:02 PM >

Currently editing with Studio 19, making movies in iClone 6, and exploring Substance Designer... I just wish I could be doing more of it.
Post #: 2
RE: Bealach Na Ba' sample video - 4/5/2011 2:07:54 AM   
geoff_pell

Thanks Dennis

quote:

I appreciated that you trimmed the video. As beautiful as the scenery is, a 30 minute video of driving down the road would get rather long. Consider making it even shorter. I understand how difficult that can be. I struggle with it myself. I means a lot more to you than others, especially people who were not with you and have never been there. I'm not being critical of the filming or the subject matter. I'm just trying to offer one opinion as a third-party observer.

You are right there.

I started off with an intention to create a 3 minute clip but it got out of hand as did the music.

I chose the wrong subject too. Maybe it would have been better with several short clips of something more interesting.

quote:

Turn the camera into the turn, rather than just pointing it straight forward. I think that will make the video more watchable.

That is a very good point. I was driving and had 95% of my attention on doing so and refrained from suggestions.

With hindsight I also realise that I should have maintained motion instead of trying to show it more as it was.

Thanks again, that was a great help and I may give it another bash later when I have time.

Geoff
Post #: 3
RE: Bealach Na Ba' sample video - 4/5/2011 7:35:38 PM   
justaviking

Equipment:
Homebuilt - 64-bit Win7, Intel i7-3770k, 256GB SSD, Asus motherbaord, lots of hard drives, dual 28-inch monitors, 750W power supply, Antec P-160W case
quote:

ORIGINAL: geoff_pell

Thanks again, that was a great help and I may give it another bash later when I have time.

I'm glad you appreciated the comments.  I'm sure you welcome any reason to take the beautiful drive again.

I will be more than happy to view another video of that awesome landscape!

Currently editing with Studio 19, making movies in iClone 6, and exploring Substance Designer... I just wish I could be doing more of it.
Post #: 4
RE: Bealach Na Ba' sample video - 4/6/2011 1:14:38 AM   
geoff_pell

quote:

I will be more than happy to view another video of that awesome landscape!

Let's see, only a few weeks to go and we might be doing just that again.

This time I will try and get something more suitable for VFF.

Generally I finish up with photos and hope to stitch several together and make it into a pan clip in video as part of a slide show.

Then there are Otters, Red squirrels, Dolphins and porpoise; apparently Pins Martins like strawberry jam and who knows they might pay us a visit.

Geoff
Post #: 5
RE: Bealach Na Ba' sample video - 4/6/2011 12:49:45 PM   
mwickham

That is a neat video.
be neater to have GPS data included.  Like on:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh-trUHKVDY

By the way --- aren't you driving on the wrong side of the road?
Post #: 6
RE: Bealach Na Ba' sample video - 4/6/2011 3:09:02 PM   
geoff_pell

To be honest I never thought of having the camera tilted down video the GPS Screen.

quote:

By the way --- aren't you driving on the wrong side of the road?

Aint no wrong side on a single track road.

We in the UK drive on the left side. Driving on the right side is a myth.
The right side is the wrong side.

Thanks for giving your views, much appreciated.

Geoff
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [GENERAL] >> HINTS AND WORK-AROUNDS >> Bealach Na Ba' sample video Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode