Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Import PDF to word perfect

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [GENERAL] >> TUTORIAL & HOW-TO REQUESTS >> Import PDF to word perfect Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Import PDF to word perfect - 4/2/2012 6:25:39 AM   
Yarra

I have a couple small books I wrote and have lost the disc copy of them.
But I do have a hrd copy of them.
I want to recover and re-print them, and have started a lot of typing, but thought
that using Word Perfect X5 might do the trick.
I have scanned some of the pages as PDF files, and tried to import them to WP, but
am told there is encryption or corrupt blocking the import.
I tried to import some of the AVID MANUALS in PDF form, and I get the same message.

Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong both with my own scanned images,
and with the Files on the Avid program, that they will not import to Word Perfect.
Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/2/2012 9:02:04 AM   
gjslaw

Equipment:
Not worth talkin' about around here.
Do you have the full edition of WordPerfect or a "Home" edition? I believe only the full edition allows you to import/edit PDFs.

Anything worth doing is
worth doing well

Greg
Post #: 2
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/2/2012 10:01:14 AM   
Yarra

Hi Greg
It is Word Perfect Standard Office X5 which I have.
I thought that did have that facility but perhaps not.
On disk 1 it says it has Nuance PaperPort (12?)
Perhaps that was not installed.
I will have to check on that.

< Message edited by Yarra -- 4/2/2012 10:05:27 AM >
Post #: 3
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/2/2012 12:15:47 PM   
Sparks

Am I missing the point here, but don't you need some form of Optical Character Recognition software to scan hard copy text to create machine-readable text?

Jeff

http://www.vitalsparks.com
Post #: 4
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/2/2012 1:09:21 PM   
Yarra

I have an Epson V500 photo scanner. That does scan documents and saves them as PDF files.
No problem there. It is when I start to open them in Word Perfect X5 that I am told there is something wrong with the files.
Also, when I try to open the AVID Manual (pdf) in to Word perfect X5, I get the same message.
WP gives precise instructions for opening PDF files, and that is when I get errors.
I have today installed Nuance 12 and tried WP again. No joy there once again.
Nuance looks as if it might be a daunting program to get around, so I have decided to leave that for now.
I have about 150 pages to retype from an original copy, so that will probably be quicker than learning a new program. So that is the way I will go at the moment.
By re-typing the documents I wll get it exactly as it was in the original, down to punctuation and paragr6aph and page sizes. Format as original.
As I say, probably quicker and easier than learning a new program to do it for me.
Something is wrong here, and the usual cause will be found to be "Operator Error"
So I treat it as such until a better solution is found.
Thanks for looking at the problem and your suggestions.

Hugh

P.S.
On re-reading a document I printed from the web, "Importing PDF Files in Word Perfect Office", I see something which says (If you don't have the password, or if you type the wrong password in, you'll see an error message "PDF cannot be opened for editing because it is encrypted or corrupted"

This is what i am getting, and I have not used a password anywhere even when scanning, so it is definitely 'operator error'

Back to the drawing board.

< Message edited by Yarra -- 4/2/2012 1:24:35 PM >
Post #: 5
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/2/2012 2:39:09 PM   
gjslaw

Equipment:
Not worth talkin' about around here.
@ Jeff - The full version of WordPerfect allows you to open and edit PDF files. Depending on how they were originally created, obviously you need to OCR them. I assume that WordPerfect does this using the Nuance OCR program.

I would also think that the Avid Manual is already in a format that allows you to copy and paste the text. (In fact, as I think about it, you should be able to do that in Adobe Reader. ) In other words, you should be able to select the text in Adobe Reader, copy it and paste into WordPerfect. I don't have Adobe Reader on my current machine, so let me know if this works.

(Hugh, if you want to send the scanned PDFs to me, I will convert them for you. No need to do all that typing.)

Anything worth doing is
worth doing well

Greg
Post #: 6
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/2/2012 4:01:02 PM   
RogRead

Equipment:
Home built: Intel Core i5 750 quad, ASUS P7P55 LX, 8Gb DDR3, ATI HD4350 512Mb, 120 Gb SSD, 2 internal 1Tb HDD, 1 external 1Tb. Win 7 Pro 64 bit, Vegas 12 Pro, DVD Architect 6, PSE8, CT6 Pro, Crazy Talk Animator. Camcorder: Sony CX115 Handycam
Hugh,

If you don't want to modify the content at all, you can scan in your books as pdfs, then open them in Acrobat, or the free pdf reader Foxit Reader, then print them directly without having to try to import into WP.

As regards the password fiasco, I have been looking at some of my pdfs, and some are password protected, and others are not. Don't know why.

Roger

Old age and Treachery will triumph over youth and skill
Post #: 7
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/2/2012 4:22:06 PM   
Yarra

Greg
Your method has some merit
I scanned a couple pages as PDF. Opened them in Reader.
Copy and Paste to Word Perfect, and got a readable copy -- but

Headers and Footers and Page numbers were misplaced
Short text lines had lots of 'dirt' in the empty spaces. (clean up would be horrendous)
Indents variable.
Error example >>>> ----- " forecast. In Burlington "---, became ---- "forecast mBurlington" ----
An empty line can be moved up to close the gap.
Punctuation marks inserted here and there.
etc

Your ideas have opened up new trains of thought, and the exercise becomes interesting.

I am going to plug away at it for this evening anyway.

< Message edited by Yarra -- 4/2/2012 4:23:37 PM >
Post #: 8
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/3/2012 2:06:16 PM   
Yarra

Last night I had intended doing some work on this PDF problem, but someone threw
a handful of sleep dust into the air, this affected my eyes.
Goodbye good intentions, hello pillow, Welcome.

This morning I was up bright and early to take the old charabang in for an oil change.
That done, I got home and the Mrs said she wanted to do some shopping.
Bang went my good intentions for the rest of this day.
So now I am back, but first supper has to be made.
Where do my good intentions go?
Talk to you all later.
Post #: 9
RE: Import PDF to word perfect - 4/7/2012 11:13:49 AM   
Yarra

Well part of my problem is solved.
I had a look at the Nuance program and WordPerfect and was getting no-where. I looked at what Roger had to say about some of his files being encrypted and some not.
Decided to forget about the 'easy' way of doing things, and went about it the hard way.
I re-typed the whole darned thing. Took a while but at least the job is done.
Thanks to the ideas folks. Now I will have a look at the PDF thing at my leisure.
Perhaps I will understand it one day.
Thanks
Hugh
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [GENERAL] >> TUTORIAL & HOW-TO REQUESTS >> Import PDF to word perfect Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode