Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Best use for a second SSD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [HARDWARE] >> COMPUTERS >> Best use for a second SSD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best use for a second SSD - 12/1/2012 9:36:05 AM   
RogRead

Equipment:
Home built: Intel Core i5 750 quad, ASUS P7P55 LX, 8Gb DDR3, ATI HD4350 512Mb, 120 Gb SSD, 2 internal 1Tb HDD, 1 external 1Tb. Win 7 Pro 64 bit, Vegas 12 Pro, DVD Architect 6, PSE8, CT6 Pro, Crazy Talk Animator. Camcorder: Sony CX115 Handycam
Win 7 and most of my regularly used programs are on a 120 Gb SSD (which still has over 45 Gb free space on it). I also have plenty of space on my HDDs. However, I have been given another 120 Gb SSD as a birthday present. I do not really need the extra storage space, but would like to make use of the speed of the SSD. I am considering using it as my video and photo editing "scratch pad", and storing the in use videos and photos on it. Does this make sense, or would I be better off using it for something else, like as a back-up for my OS? Any suggestions?

Roger

Old age and Treachery will triumph over youth and skill
Post #: 1
RE: Best use for a second SSD - 12/1/2012 12:08:24 PM   
justaviking

Equipment:
Homebuilt - 64-bit Win7, Intel i7-3770k, 256GB SSD, Asus motherbaord, lots of hard drives, dual 28-inch monitors, 750W power supply, Antec P-160W case
Bottom line - Your second-most active files where speed might be an issues, such as the video-editing "scratch pad" like you suggested.

RAID - Put your two SSDs together in RAID 0 for even greater speed, but depending on the speed of your SSD and the availability of 6Gbps SATA ports on our motherboard, it might be difficult to perceive any increase. You could also put it in a redundant array (RAID 1?) for data duplication, but I don't think I'd bother with that, not with an SSD.

BACKUP - No, not in my opinion. To expensive (and valuable) to use as a backup, especially an offline backup.

Really, as said above, it might be a good place for your current edit projects. Depending on your available space, you could also direct Studio to put it's auxiliary files on the seconds SSD. That's all I can really think of.

Santa came early, did he?

Currently editing with Studio 19, making movies in iClone 6, and exploring Substance Designer... I just wish I could be doing more of it.
Post #: 2
RE: Best use for a second SSD - 12/1/2012 2:33:22 PM   
RogRead

Equipment:
Home built: Intel Core i5 750 quad, ASUS P7P55 LX, 8Gb DDR3, ATI HD4350 512Mb, 120 Gb SSD, 2 internal 1Tb HDD, 1 external 1Tb. Win 7 Pro 64 bit, Vegas 12 Pro, DVD Architect 6, PSE8, CT6 Pro, Crazy Talk Animator. Camcorder: Sony CX115 Handycam
Thanks for your thoughts, Dennis. Very much as I was thinking.

Having researched RAIDs on line, it would seem that the speed of an SSD RAID 0 would not seem much faster than a single SSD, and I agree that a RAID 1 would be a waste of an SSD. Likewise, it wouild be a waste to use it as a back-up drive.

I posed the same question on the Sony Vegas forum, and the reply I got was similar to yours - use it to hold the project files, which will enable the project to load much faster. However, it seems that fast data transfer can hit a bottleneck of CPU decoding and calculations. An SSD will hit this bottleneck long before it reaches its maximum data transfer rate, as will a RAID 0 set-up, too.

So, all in all, although I am delighted with my belated birthday present, (not Santa!), I am glad I didn't spend any of my own money on it.

Roger

Old age and Treachery will triumph over youth and skill
Post #: 3
RE: Best use for a second SSD - 12/3/2012 6:06:26 AM   
bittmann

Equipment:
Video: US NTSC / Sony 8MM CCD-TR916 / MovieBox USB / Sony DCR-TRV70 MiniDV
S9 PC: Centrino Laptop / 1.6 GHz / 512Meg / NVidia G-Force4 4200 Go / XP Pro SP2/ Studio 8.12.7 & 9.4.3+
S10 PC: Athlon64 3400+, 1GB, nVidia 6600 256MB, XP Home SP2
I'm a proponent of RAID-1, myself. SSDs can die just as easily as rotational media, and it's not like you have to PAY for this SSD...it fell into your lap.
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [HARDWARE] >> COMPUTERS >> Best use for a second SSD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post