Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Mirrorless Cameras

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [HARDWARE] >> CAMERAS / CAMCORDERS >> Mirrorless Cameras Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mirrorless Cameras - 8/28/2013 8:43:26 AM   
Alley

Equipment:
Quad 6600 @ 2.4 512 8800 GT video card 3HD - 3 x 500 1 external 80, 1 external 300 4 gig ram Studio 12 Ultimate Ulead Video Studio 10 Adobe Premier Elements 3, Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, Photoshop CS3, Proshow Producer
I recently purchased a Sony Nex-6 camera. I should have bought it before my vacation, but as my Daughter is an avid photographer and she uses a Canon DSLR camera, we relied on her to take most of the pictures. I was using a Sony Cybershot camera but was very disappointed with the quality. Anyway, with Danielle leaving and taking her camera, I decided I wanted a better camera. I intended to get a DSLR, but the camera guy introduced me to this "Mirrorless" technology.

The camera takes amazing pictures, and I can get other lenses for it in the future. It has a view finder also which was important to me. It also has a dial menu, much like my existing camera to make the transition a little easier. And it's smaller than a DSLR. Frankly, I like that it is less complicated than her DSLR.

Alley
Post #: 1
RE: Mirrorless Cameras - 8/28/2013 10:03:45 AM   
bittmann

Equipment:
Video: US NTSC / Sony 8MM CCD-TR916 / MovieBox USB / Sony DCR-TRV70 MiniDV
S9 PC: Centrino Laptop / 1.6 GHz / 512Meg / NVidia G-Force4 4200 Go / XP Pro SP2/ Studio 8.12.7 & 9.4.3+
S10 PC: Athlon64 3400+, 1GB, nVidia 6600 256MB, XP Home SP2
We call those "EVIL" cameras (Electronic Viewfinder / Interchangeable Lens).

Basically, if you take your DSLR and set it to "mirror open" mode, it's the same sort of thing - you have to use the LCD (or a LCD viewfinder) to compose your shots rather than using an optical image. But on the plus side, you don't have the lag of the mirror bouncing out of the way, and you can do some cool stuff, like taking continual shots when the trigger button is half-depressed, and when the trigger is fully depressed, storing several images leading up to (and potentially several images following) the actual shot that you were trying to get -- this is gGood for photographing sports or wiggly kids.

I have a friend who has a APS-sized DSLR, my dad has an EVIL. They're both really decent cameras.

Still, the biggest contribution to photo quality is the optics. Dad has a primary 200mm lens, my friend has a zoom that'll zoom to 200mm, and of the two, the shot taken with the fixed 200mm primary is superior - not because the EVIL has a better imaging system (it doesn't!), but because the optics are simpler and "cleaner".

So, whatever camera body you get, make sure you feed it with a lens that you're happy with, and life will be good.

Post #: 2
RE: Mirrorless Cameras - 8/28/2013 8:52:10 PM   
Alley

Equipment:
Quad 6600 @ 2.4 512 8800 GT video card 3HD - 3 x 500 1 external 80, 1 external 300 4 gig ram Studio 12 Ultimate Ulead Video Studio 10 Adobe Premier Elements 3, Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, Photoshop CS3, Proshow Producer
Well so far I like my EVIL camera. Takes amazing video as well, altho not a replacement for the video camera.

Danielle moves into university this weekend, and Grandma and her big brother are in town for the event...so I'll have my first go at multiple pictures of family. We shall see how they turn out.

Alley
Post #: 3
RE: Mirrorless Cameras - 12/6/2013 10:33:06 AM   
Dabber

Equipment:
Canon XM2 DV camcorder; Manfrotto tripod (with 501HDV head); Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 15 with Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 16 (back-up, still to be used). Windows 7 Professional OS (64-bit); Service Pack 1; Intel Core i5-238P @ 3,10GHz; 8.00GB of RAM. Further "back-ups" still to be used: Magix Movie Edit Pro, Serif MoviePlus X6 and Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.
I have a Pentax K-01 camera which I bought earlier this year as a body only. I have enough Pentax lenses from my previous camera so why waste money on another? !
I didn't know it was a mirrorless camera - indeed I had never heard of them - until I saw it didn't have a viewfinder of the type you put your eye to on the back. Just an LCD screen which I found hard to use.
With the sun on the subject, it is also behind me and making any image on the LCD screen invisible.
But a visit to a on-line forum introduced me to a Swivi viewfinder which you attach to the camera's tripod screw socket and up against the LCD screen. It is like holding your hands around the LCD screen, with a rubber eyepiece on the back section with a magnifying lens (this part can be swung out of the way if you wish - but why would you?)
Now I can see the image clearly and getting some good images (technically; I'm not boasting).
The thing is (and this might be a drawback), it makes the camera twice its previous size. This makes it more impressive (or pretentious!).

Other devices are available from other firms, each working in their own way (such as an eyepiece to replace the missing viewfinder).

< Message edited by Dabberagain -- 12/7/2013 4:39:30 AM >

Dabber

www.dabbersnantwich.me.uk; www.jonborovideos.me.uk
Post #: 4
RE: Mirrorless Cameras - 12/11/2013 1:35:00 PM   
bittmann

Equipment:
Video: US NTSC / Sony 8MM CCD-TR916 / MovieBox USB / Sony DCR-TRV70 MiniDV
S9 PC: Centrino Laptop / 1.6 GHz / 512Meg / NVidia G-Force4 4200 Go / XP Pro SP2/ Studio 8.12.7 & 9.4.3+
S10 PC: Athlon64 3400+, 1GB, nVidia 6600 256MB, XP Home SP2
Same thing for my Dad's camera - if you don't mind spending good money, you can get an electronic eye-viewable viewfinder to supplement the camera-back unit. Sometimes it's the only way to really take a decent picture, so it may be worth it.
Post #: 5
RE: Mirrorless Cameras - 12/11/2013 4:03:30 PM   
Dabber

Equipment:
Canon XM2 DV camcorder; Manfrotto tripod (with 501HDV head); Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 15 with Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 16 (back-up, still to be used). Windows 7 Professional OS (64-bit); Service Pack 1; Intel Core i5-238P @ 3,10GHz; 8.00GB of RAM. Further "back-ups" still to be used: Magix Movie Edit Pro, Serif MoviePlus X6 and Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.
I'm sure you are right, Bittmann.
But I must say that I like the way things work now, and the image quality is great. But that is something in the camera (you see I am on the ball with regard to the technicalities) that you have to be careful to keep clean!
Oh, yes, that's it - the CMOS sensor! I don't know if that is the reason behind the better images (technically, I mean - not boasting about my photographic skills).

< Message edited by Dabberagain -- 12/11/2013 4:05:03 PM >

Dabber

www.dabbersnantwich.me.uk; www.jonborovideos.me.uk
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [HARDWARE] >> CAMERAS / CAMCORDERS >> Mirrorless Cameras Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode