Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [CREATING VIDEO] >> CAPTURE >> Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 - 3/21/2014 12:02:16 AM   
scootersferret

This is a process I have tried to carry out in the past and completed once!

My problem is that having selected the correct file source on the card, Pinnacle reads and loads, but the thumbnails that you view are from the previous import, making it impossible to select relevant scenes!

My previous work round was to import via a previous version of Pinnacle, but having updated to Window 7, I haven't as yet reloaded it.

Thought I would ask the question of "the knowledgeable ones" before doing so!

Kind regards

Scootersferret

"I now know how little I know"
Post #: 1
RE: Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 - 3/21/2014 7:41:35 AM   
dogbot

Equipment:
17.3" laptop + 22" ext monitor i7-3740QM 2.7-3.6 Ghz 16 GB Kingston hyper-X 1600Mhz nVidia GTX 675MX 4GB 750 GB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB Scorpio blue various e-sata/usb ext drives OP W7 Acronis True Image Home 2013 Studio 8, 10.6(10.8), 14, 15, AS, Sony PC8 DV, Panasonic HC-X900
The naming of files on a card is simple, just a number. Reformat a card a use a new one and the same sequence of numbers will start again from 00001.mts for instance. Do this a few times and, at best, you have several flders containing the same file neames and, at worst, some files may have been overwritten.

It is better to copy the files from the SD card to a new folder on the hard drive and then rename them according to date, topic or whatever.

I have a Panasonic cam and use their HDWriter to import the files and rename them automatically. Studio is then not confused by having files with the same name.
Post #: 2
RE: Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 - 3/21/2014 5:20:32 PM   
gjslaw

Equipment:
Not worth talkin' about around here.
quote:

My problem is that having selected the correct file source on the card, Pinnacle reads and loads, but the thumbnails that you view are from the previous import, making it impossible to select relevant scenes!
Are you trying to use files directly from the SD card? If so, that would indeed be likely to cause problems. You should transfer the files to your hard drive in order to edit them. And, as David says, you should use a unique naming scheme for the files, either by setting in the camera, or by placing them into separate folders e.g. date created or subject matter folder.

This may also be a problem with your auxiliary files. Are you creating a new project name before you start the project or are you starting out with "My Movie X"?

< Message edited by gjslaw -- 3/21/2014 5:21:57 PM >

Anything worth doing is
worth doing well

Greg
Post #: 3
RE: Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 - 3/21/2014 11:34:36 PM   
scootersferret

Dogbot,

Understand Pinnacle's dilemma, which seems to concur with the fact that I imported via basic old windows to a new folder, renaming the files at that time.

My camcorder is a Panasonic, don't recall that software with mine? Is it a free utility?

Thanks

Scootersferret

Post #: 4
RE: Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 - 3/21/2014 11:43:22 PM   
scootersferret

Greg,

I am trying to save them to a new folder, and yes you are correct, I haven't started a new project so it is My Movie xxxx. Strangely enough I did clear the Auxiliary Folder when the problem started.

I hadn't started a new project because I was purely looking to release up some SD Cards and also clear the Camcorder storage prior to a trip to Mickey Mouse in Florida with granddaughter!

Regards

Scootersferret

Post #: 5
RE: Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 - 3/22/2014 4:07:04 AM   
dogbot

Equipment:
17.3" laptop + 22" ext monitor i7-3740QM 2.7-3.6 Ghz 16 GB Kingston hyper-X 1600Mhz nVidia GTX 675MX 4GB 750 GB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB Scorpio blue various e-sata/usb ext drives OP W7 Acronis True Image Home 2013 Studio 8, 10.6(10.8), 14, 15, AS, Sony PC8 DV, Panasonic HC-X900
My HDWriter came on a disc bundled with the cam. Other cams that have it are http://www.panasonic.com/uk/search.html?q=hdwriter&searchIn=&_charset_=utf-8&x=0&y=0 and I don't think it works with any cam.
I don't see a way of downloading it unfortunately.

Possibly there are some free programs around but why not just copy to the hard drive and then batch rename with Windows Explorer.
Post #: 6
RE: Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 - 3/23/2014 1:50:18 AM   
scootersferret

Dogbot,

Appreciate you doing some homework, but I think your last comment sums it up and does the job nicely anyway!

Thanks again for your help.

Scootersferret

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [CREATING VIDEO] >> CAPTURE >> Capture from SD Card in Pinnacle 15 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode