Video Friends Forum Video Friends Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

A decade's difference in computers and video editing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [GENERAL DISCUSSION] >> COFFEE SHOP >> A decade's difference in computers and video editing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A decade's difference in computers and video editing - 4/28/2016 10:32:49 AM   
bittmann

Equipment:
Video: US NTSC / Sony 8MM CCD-TR916 / MovieBox USB / Sony DCR-TRV70 MiniDV
S9 PC: Centrino Laptop / 1.6 GHz / 512Meg / NVidia G-Force4 4200 Go / XP Pro SP2/ Studio 8.12.7 & 9.4.3+
S10 PC: Athlon64 3400+, 1GB, nVidia 6600 256MB, XP Home SP2
Remember 10 years ago, when the big topic of discussion was HD-DVD vs BluRay?

Remember 10 years ago, when Pinnacle/Avid released Studio 10.5 Titanium edition?

And when Travis White - Product Manager for Studio - announced that the promised fixes to Studio 9 were cancelled because Studio 10 was so bad that it sucked all of the life out of Pinnacle (OK, he didn't actually say *that*, but we all knew what he meant!), meaning the one Studio product (9) that actually worked back then was left with a load of known issues "forever"?

And when in response Romskye said something about Pinnacle Development "clearing the decks" and (for some reason) got censured (and censored) on the Pinnacle Forums?

Remember 10 years ago when we started hearing about the "next new up and coming Operating System from Microsoft, called "Vista"?

And when no one had an "iPhone"? When Twitter hadn't yet been introduced?

What a difference just 10 years can make!

What other differences do you remember?
Post #: 1
RE: A decade's difference in computers and video editing - 5/1/2016 11:10:43 AM   
gjslaw

Equipment:
Not worth talkin' about around here.
I can't remember what happened 10 days ago.

Anything worth doing is
worth doing well

Greg
Post #: 2
RE: A decade's difference in computers and video editing - 5/9/2016 5:35:59 AM   
RogRead

Equipment:
Home built: Intel Core i5 750 quad, ASUS P7P55 LX, 8Gb DDR3, ATI HD4350 512Mb, 120 Gb SSD, 2 internal 1Tb HDD, 1 external 1Tb. Win 7 Pro 64 bit, Vegas 12 Pro, DVD Architect 6, PSE8, CT6 Pro, Crazy Talk Animator. Camcorder: Sony CX115 Handycam
A tablet was something you took if you were not well.

The Cloud usually heralded a wet day.

Subscriptions were only for magazines and clubs, not software.

Pinhead had just been born!

3D video? Impossible!

Kayla virtually hijacked VFF!

Roger

Old age and Treachery will triumph over youth and skill
Post #: 3
RE: A decade's difference in computers and video editing - 5/11/2016 8:47:38 AM   
bittmann

Equipment:
S9 PC: Centrino Laptop / 1.6 GHz / 512Meg / NVidia G-Force4 4200 Go / XP Pro SP2/ Studio 8.12.7 & 9.4.3+
I think I'm officially getting old, now - at least, some of the things my Dad says are starting to come out of *my* mouth.

I was somewhat taken aback the other day when I saw it was now $25 to get a car tire patched.

When I worked at Sears back in the '80s, we charged (IIRC) $8.50 if a customer carried in their tire to dismount, patch, and remount a the tire, and another $1.50 if we had to remove and replace the wheel from the car.

Now, apparently, there is only one button on the computer for "fix a flat", so it costs $25 if you carry in a wheel, $25 if you drive in with a leak, $25 if you bring in a separate tire and rim, etc. (See, a "computer" connection, so it's OK to put into this thread...)

So, first I thought "$25? Ouch!". Then I started thinking about paying someone to fix flats. If they are good, *maybe* a motivated "flat-fixer" could average 3 repairs, or $75 an hour. For that $75, you have to pay the tire-monkey's full benefit load (even if it's just salary plus Social Security, it can't be negligible), pay the depreciation on all the equipment involved, pay for the bay and lift (in the case the car is there), pay for the consumables, and (hopefully) make a bit of profit. If that's the case, I wonder how they can even *justify* the trouble of fixing flats?!!

All I can say is, flat repair must be a "loss-leader" - if they can get customers coming through, maybe they'll buy their next set of tires / get alignments / pay for rotations / etc. at the shop.

And then my Dad said he remembered when patching a (tube-type) tire only cost $1, so I didn't feel *quite* so old, then.
Post #: 4
RE: A decade's difference in computers and video editing - 5/16/2016 2:52:47 PM   
gjslaw

Equipment:
Not worth talkin' about around here.
It would probably have been a good thing to have a flat tire 10 years ago. You would then not be paying $3.50+ for a gallon of gas to drive around. Of course, it would have been better to get a flat in 2008, when gas hit more than $4.50.

And Tesla had not built any production cars 10 years ago.

Anything worth doing is
worth doing well

Greg
Post #: 5
RE: A decade's difference in computers and video editing - 5/17/2016 7:12:56 AM   
bittmann

Equipment:

quote:

ORIGINAL: gjslaw

It would probably have been a good thing to have a flat tire 10 years ago. You would then not be paying $3.50+ for a gallon of gas to drive around. Of course, it would have been better to get a flat in 2008, when gas hit more than $4.50.

And Tesla had not built any production cars 10 years ago.

Boy, I can tell you live in California. In the heartland (or, basically mostly anywhere but California or Hawaii) gasoline prices are +$.50/gal lower than what you're referencing. Checking today's prices, $0.77/gal, in fact. At least you make up for it by having cheaper electricity and water -- oh, never mind that either.

Today, look at "minutes worth of take-home pay required per gallon of gasoline" and I'd guess you'll (probably) see that gasoline has never been cheaper. Taxes and medical (again, probably) not so much...
Post #: 6
RE: A decade's difference in computers and video editing - 6/1/2016 6:58:24 AM   
colour

Equipment:
CAM: PANASONIC MX 500 3CCD. PC : ADVENT T9202/MS 7046 MOBO/Dual P4 550J 3.4GHz CPUs/1GB PC 3200 RAM/ATI X600-PRO PCIe Graphics Card/2x200Gb SEAGATE SATA HDDs/ARTEC MF DVD-ROM/PIONEER MF DL DVD-RW. SOFTWARE: S8/S10.7/Liquid 5.5/Heroglyph/Adorage/PSE4
I've got amnesia

Been trying to access Forums since Jan. Each time, I get this:

OK. Can't upload Image. HTTP 500 Error Message.

W7 with IE11, here.

ADDED - I can view Forums via Home Button. Not much activity these days.

< Message edited by colour -- 6/1/2016 7:33:17 AM >

Well, I did have a signature, but people kept forging it - So now I don't sign anything.
Post #: 7
RE: A decade's difference in computers and video editing - 6/1/2016 9:05:06 AM   
bittmann

Equipment:
A decade's worth of indifference toward the forum software?

I suspect Facebook (and maybe Twitter, et. al.) ended up draining the forum "community" both here and at Pinnacle. A lot of the stuff we used to share with each other on forums (I'm guessing) is ending up on a timeline -- "somewhere else".

Guess that makes a decade's worth of difference in online communities...

Oh, here's another difference. According to the Associated Press styleguide, yesterday was the last day that we should "use the Internet" to "get on the Web". As of today (1 June), we must "use the internet" to "get on the web" -- "internet" and "web" no longer being proper nouns.

THAT'S going to be a hard habit for this old man to break, let me tell ya!
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [GENERAL DISCUSSION] >> COFFEE SHOP >> A decade's difference in computers and video editing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode